Cardiac and Vascular Ageing Project Management Group
The Cardiac and Vascular Ageing Project Management Group (CVAPMG) is part of the operational structure of LHA and NSHD and responsible to the Director. It has been established for the purpose of maximising the scientific potential of the NSHD data on cardiac and vascular structure and function that have been being collected in the recent NSHD clinic data collection.
Project Management group (external members)
- Professor John Deanfield (Chair), Professor of Cardiology, Institute of Child Health, University College London
- Professor Nish Chaturvedi, Institute of Cardiovascular Science, UCL
- Professor Peter Friberg, Professor of Clinical Physiology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Göteborg, Sweden
- Professor Aroon Hingorani, Professor of Genetic Epidemiology, UCL
- Professor Alun Hughes, Institute of Cardiovascular Science, UCL
- Professor Peter MacFarlane, Professor of Electrocardiology, Department of Medical Cardiology, Glasgow University
- Dr Denis Pellerin, Head of Echocardiography, The Heart Hospital, UCL
- Professor Peter Whincup, Professor of Cardiovascular Epidemiology, St George’s Hospital Medical School
Cardiac measures at 60-64 include:
Global left ventricular (LV) systolic and diastolic function, LV cavity dimensions and volumes, right ventricular and valves assessment, proximal aorta measurements. Parameters are obtained using conventional echocardiography and myocardial Doppler imaging.
Vascular measures at 60-64 include:
Carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity (indicator of arterial stiffness), radial pulse wave analysis (indirect measure of arterial stiffness), carotid distensibility (local measure of arterial compliance), carotid intima-media thickness (IMT) (local measures of vessel wall).
ECG & heart rate variability at 60-64:
Beat to beat alterations in heart rate (indicator of autonomic regulation of circulatory function).